Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Entertainment and Gifts

I picked up Ulysses and the Count of Monte Cristo to go with my copy of the Tale of Genji that will be my traveling entertainment.  That's roughly 3000 pages to keep me busy when I've got downtime.

I've also got a 1-pound box of See's chocolate to take with me as a gift, and a couple packs of gum, as I've heard gum is a hot item from America.

Frank was so very nice and got me both a translator/dictionary and $100.  Thank you!

Tomorrow is laying stuff out to pack; Thursday is actually packing.  Where did the summer go?

6 comments:

  1. Rawr it be Misty here! Glad to see you're going to keep me updated on your wild adventures of Japan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you may want to rethink the sees candy. its prevalent in japan.-g.

    ReplyDelete
  3. also add to your list of places to visit: kyoto manga museum.

    http://www.kyotomm.jp/english/

    -g.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tried to read the Count of Monte Cristo, not too long ago. Gave up after about 100 pages of melodramatic tripe, but then I've seen three different versions of it in movie form, so it made me jaded.
    You'll have to let me know about Ulysses though, as that was a book I could never bring myself to read.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh, sees candy. I wouldn't be able to control myself, I'd end up eating it instead of giving it as a gift. Oh, and good luck with Ulysses. James Joyce essentially wrote it to be a big mind screw and a gigantic "F- You!" to literature critics. Seriously.

    Good luck with your flight and such :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Reading Count of Monte Cristo right now. Really enjoying it, though I have no idea when I'll be able to finish it. It'll probably end up on the shelf until winter break when I won't have school books to read.
    Hope you had fun on the long plane ride with all that...

    ReplyDelete