Saturday, September 4, 2010

[Children's] Card Game

I was supposed to meet Miho today to wander around Osaka proper, but she was called in to work and hence we couldn't go on our adventure.  She also works tomorrow, so it will have to be another weekend.  I made oatmeal this morning (even though I'm not allowed to use the stove, not even to boil water like the other girls can) and wandered down to talk to people online.  It was odd knowing they were at work or whatnot on Friday while I was being lazy on Saturday.

The better part of time spent online was trying to figure out how to make the photos in the previous blog both upload and look right in the layout.  It was at least an hour before I victored over it and forced it into the state you currently see when viewing the blog.

I showered and had some bread and cheese, spoke with Misty and headed back to the computers to check the weather.  Daniel was online so I poked him to see if he wanted to walk to campus together (since his meeting with his family was at 1 p.m., about an hour and 15 minutes from when I poked him) but he declined, saying he hadn't finished packing.

The walk to campus was slow and warm, since it was about noon, but it allowed me to count the spiders today completely in Japanese--76.  The extra three hours gave approximately 30 spiders enough time to rebuild their webs, apparently.

When I arrived, the results of the placement test had been posted.  I'm in 2J for speaking and 2G for writing.  I figured I'd be in level 2 or 3 and personally, I'd rather enforce the base information than try to build on what I don't know.  So my class schedule is as follows:

Monday:
11-11:50: Spoken Japanese 2 (Shimotani)
4:40-6:10: Visual Anthropology of Japan (Fedorowicz)

Tuesday:
10-10:50: Reading and Writing Japanese 2 (Hattori)
12-12:50: Spoken Japanese 2 (Shimotani)
d1:15-2:45: Religion in Japan (Kenney)

Wednesday:
10-10:50: Spoken Japanese 2 (Shimotani)
w1:15-2:45: Shinto (Kenney)
3-4:30: Introduction to Japanese History (Hiawatsch)
4:40-6:10: Visual Anthropology of Japan (Fedorowicz)

Thursday:
9-9:50: Reading and Writing Japanese 2 (Hattori)
11-11:50: Spoken Japanese 2 (Shimotani)
d1:15-2:45: Religion in Japan (Kenney)

Friday:
9-9:50: Spoken Japanese 2 (Shimotani)
10-10:50: Reading and Writing Japanese 2 (Hattori)
w1:15-2:45: Shinto (Kenney)
3-4:30: Introduction to Japanese History (Hiawatsch)

d=will be dropped if I get into w;=waitlisted for.

After that, I checked my mailbox to see if I'd received a notification regarding the Shinto class, but I didn't, so I ventured into the lounge and claimed myself a table to mark up a schedule with where I'm supposed to be when for what.  I also checked my laptop's ability to connect to the CIE's wifi, which it can, so all is well.

One of the ladies in charge came into the lounge after 1 p.m. looking for Daniel... who wasn't there to meet his family like he was supposed to be.  I mailed and called; he said the bus was late and that he'd be there soon, but first impressions are rather important.  He showed up, though half an hour late.  I met his homestay father and younger brother when they were on their way out and returned to my table.

People eventually flocked to me; first a girl named Liz who unfortunately is heading home tomorrow because her stomach disagrees with Japan.  She hasn't eaten a full meal since arrival and decided it would be better to return home than risk further health issues.  Her friend joined us after a bit, "Fuzzy," and introduced the German card game Ligretto.  He described it as the game Speed on acid; I would describe it as if you mixed Oh Hell and Speed.  It was fun and we managed to kill several hours playing it.

We eventually wandered out around 6 p.m.  I went to Top World for laundry detergent and also picked up a bag of small rolls and milk tea.  Back in the dorm, I had dinner and started my laundry before hopping in the shower. I don't want to bother counting, but I definitely have more than 10 bug bites now.  I don't understand why I'm so delicious.

I meet my family tomorrow at 3 p.m.  I'm going to miss the seminar house and the girls I've been rooming with, but the one thing I've known from the start is that I want to stay with a family.

1 comment:

  1. Hi katie,
    Wow, you have a nice full load- not much time to spare. I see some of your classes run late. At least you have weekends off. I hope you will like your homestay family. I'm sure that will enhance your spoken Japanese a lot.
    Joy to you, Frank

    ReplyDelete