Thursday, September 9, 2010

Settling

Misa reminded me to lock the door.
I've settled into something of a routine.

I get up at 6:30, have breakfast by 7 and am on the bus by 7:25, which gets me to campus at 8.  I hang around on the Internet with people (this is probably when I'll start doing my blog, which is 4 p.m. west coast time) before heading to classes.

Language classes are things I've already learned, but they're the things I stopped retaining, so I'm content in the level I'm in.  I didn't have anything besides language classes Thursday, so I hung around in the lounge for most of the afternoon.  I got my books, a total of 90 JPY, which isn't that bad considering the cost of American textbooks.  Three were reading packets, one was an actual book and the last was the Genki workbook.  Daniel didn't need his copy of the Japanese textbook (Genki) since he's in the higher classes, so he let me have it, saving me I don't know how much money.

There was a party in the lounge in the later afternoon with lots of glorious food.  I did my homework and talked to people back home via game site chat.

I did my best to make it to my 6 p.m. bus, but I missed it by a few minutes and got ice cream at Baskin Robbins with Daniel to waste time until the next one (there's two an hour, on the 29 and the 59).  We split a double sundae since I didn't have enough money to get something on my own.  Matcha (green tea) and "Popping Shower" (pop rocks) ice cream with chocolate sauce, whipped cream, HAZELNUTS (not peanuts or almonds) and a real cherry.  I was rather impressed.  The cherry actually had a pit.

...I realize now I should have taken a picture of it.  Drat.

Out the bathroom window.
No one was home when I arrived again, so I did my reading homework for Shinto and History.  The history was all stuff I'd learned in my Art and Architecture of Japan class my first semester at Pacific (it was really more of a history class through art than an art appreciation class) but the Shinto stuff was interesting.  It was introductory and focused on the fact that through the years, no one has been able to truly definite Shinto.

Dinner was gyoza (dumplings, pot stickers, whatever you call them) and salad.

I wanted to poke at one of my character concepts, but I realized I left them all in one of the notebooks at home.  I remember most what I was thinking, but if someone (*cough*Hey Mom, hey Dad*cough*) wanted to help, that'd be great.  It's a red spiral notebook with loose papers in the back in the blue drawers--should be on top of one of the drawers.  I'm looking specifically for one of the strips of paper.  Should say Fabian Tawley at the top somewhere.

4 comments:

  1. Since I went through that class and another Art History class in Florence, too, I feel pretty safe saying that's pretty much how any Art History class is going to go. In fact, there I was sitting in the heart of the Renaissance with art literally oozing out of the pavement and the class even MORE history-specific, including multiple choice questions and fewer picture identification tests. But then visiting museums was also a graded requirement, so there's that.

    *sigh* I miss Italy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Katie,

    How nice to have a bit of sculpture near your house. The city looks like any other. Enjoyment to you,Frank

    ReplyDelete
  3. Frank, the red statue is actually on campus.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Katie,

    Ohhh. The bathroom is on campus. My bad.

    Enjoyment to you, Frank

    ReplyDelete