Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Hospitals

I see a lot of ambulances day-to-day.  Granted, there's a hospital right down the street from campus, but it just seems that there's a lot of ambulances.  I'm not one to ignore "signs" as some people call them, but this was one I wasn't concerned with.

I walked in the door at home and Okaasan immediately came to me and told me we were meeting her friend at a restaurant for dinner.  So I dumped my bag off upstairs, threw the important stuff in my purse and off we went.


I finally got to ride in a Japanese-style car.  I also got to ride with Okaasan driving for the first time.  It would be rude to say I thought I was going to die, but it was a might nerve-wracking.  We arrived and parked and went inside and met her friend... who had her daughter and an exchange student (Lucky from Australia) with her.  There was a lot of talking, both in English and Japanese and everyone seemed to have a good time.

I discovered during that conversation that the reason Okaasan wasn't home yesterday was because she was at the hospital in Kobe.  She'd dislocated her shoulder holding Konta and had to have it popped back in.  Cost her 10,000 JPY (a bit more than $100).  Suddenly I feel lucky that time my shoulder popped out, it went right back in.

Back at home, I did my Japanese homework and started making my planner.  I've gotten very good at writing the days of the week in kanji--and actually know which day is which now.  For some reason they've never stuck before.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Katie,
    The Japanese drive on the "other" side of the street, don't they? I'll bet that could be exciting. It's nice that you are included in the various social events of your stay-over family. Was "honor Old People's day" all you hoped for? It was a day off anyway. Rest to you, Frank

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, they drive on the left side of the road. The holiday wasn't really celebrated, at least not where I am.

    ReplyDelete